I had to go to school for the rehearsal of our Matriculation convocation (matriculation equals to sophomore year), so I decided to spend the rest of the day at my friend's place. Sarwat has been my friend since sixth grade and she is the only friend who I am allowed to visit. Why not others, well let's just say that there are somethings we call as limitations in our society.
In respectable Pakistani societies (the one where I belong) girls are protected from an outsider's eye. Girls don't move around as liberally as men do and they have to carry a dupatta, a large piece of cloth, with their dresses to cover themselves. It's not necessary that one covers her head with the dupatta, but a duppata is otherwise very important. This doesn't mean that girls are held back, girls are allowed to get educated and work. They even study with guys, but we have limits, such as pre-marital relationships and physical contact with guy is regarded as utter vulgarity. Guys and girls don't mingle around a lot and we have a strong system of arranged marriages, which work out most of the times! But please keep in mind that I talk about respectable Pakistani families here. Other family types, I'll cover them sometime later!

This is how a our Pakistani national dress looks like, it's called Shalwar Kamiz (btw the girl in the pic is not me!)
So the reason I am allowed to go to Sarwat's place is that they are a respectable family and I am pretty fine with it!
It was fun to visit school (Let me state that I went to an all girls school). It had been so long since I had seen faces I was used to of seeing everyday (two months to be exact). I got to meet a lot of people; some really nice ones, some not soo nice ones and some what can I say I hate 'em.
While I was waiting for Sarwat's driver to arrive I had a little thought provoking chat with a friend of mine (can't mention the name), who is a genious student and a really nice person. You might be wondering why I introduced the talk we had as thought provoking, well the thing is that while we were sitting she just started talking about the hard times she is going through. Her dad's inconsistent job and how bad she feels for that. Her voice was soo watery and her eyes were all teary! It just put me to the thought that how spoiled I am and how I just get everything. It made me feel ashamed of myself that I am so unaware of what people might be going through! Their struggles, of how it feels when you want something but you know you can't get it! I was speechless, I didn't know how to console her. My thoughts were enough to keep me engaged within myself while I delved my vocabulary for the right words. Before I could utter much Sarwat beckoned me to the door. Her driver was there. I took my friend's number and promised to keep in touch. I was too pensive to say anything else!
So what did Sarwat and I do when we got to her place...umm...Talk talk eat talk and laugh! For me it was more like I poured everything right in front of her until my head felt empty and light! I think she did the same 'cos by the end of the day we were feeling soo light and refreshed that we laughed on the most stupidest of things! It was certainly a day!
After I came home, I was sooo damn tired and sleepy that unintentionally, I had to make my way to my bed. It was not what I'll call a sound sleep but it was certainly a necessary one. While I snoozed away my brothers used the laptop to play games, but after an hour I was up again so they had to leave! Usman, complaint that he didn't get a chance to play a single game! Oh well!
So I browsed around here and there for a while and then went back to my mere nothingness, my sleep! I call it a day!!!



hi from SITS.
ReplyDeleteit feels so good to talk stuff out, doesnt it. I agree that it makes you feel light inside. =)
Wow! sounds lovely! btw I'm following you :D
ReplyDelete