Saturday, August 7, 2010

The devastating flood :(

I always hate switching on to news channels 'cos I hate listening to bad news. But running away from things doesn't change anything. It doesn't change the fact that my fellow country men lost or evacuated their houses due to the flood. It doesn't change the fact that the flood swept away 140 lives with it. It doesn't change the fact that every night millions of children sleep with an empty stomach, with extinguished hopes.

The flood

The worst flood in the last 80 years

Three million people affected

140 people died




Allah has been generous enough to keep us safe from this tragedy but a lot of others have been tested and they had to leave their houses to move to places that were not affected by the flood. The Pakistani government, as always, disappointed the citizens once again by coping with the situation slowly rather than being brisk with their actions. And although our forces are trying their best to rehabilitate the citizens, it's still not enough, 'cos when you're talking about 3 million people even the best efforts are less.

And then again a lot of people question that is this the best Pakistan can do?

Everyday, I feel guilty that I live such a life when my fellow countrymen starve. I sleep in my comfy bed when the houses of my fellow countrymen were flooded by rain water. I want to go to those places. I wanna work there. I want to see people smile. But I know that can't happen.

This blog post is a little effort to lighten that stain of guilt on my heart. Pakistanis all around are donating for the victims of the flood. You can donate too: Here are some links


You can Google donating sites too.



7 comments:

  1. Hi Kaibee
    Im really glad you posted about this. The floods are getting a lot of TV coverage in the UK too and Zardaris getting a lot of criticism for being overseas whilst the country drowns.
    I guess all we can do is donate as much as we can and otherwise, pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for what is happening in Pakistan. It's a human tragedy and apart from money we can't give any other help. I watch the images on TV with great dismay and a sense of helplessness that's overwhelming.
    It's so sad that children have to go through such things... so sad that parents and adults have to endure so much tragedy... these are the times I doubt there's a God up there, whatever his/her name is. I know it's hard. But that's the way I feel about it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaibee...this is such a tragedy. It makes me want to weep. There's nothing we can do but give money. We have to leave it to the rescue experts to do everything they can.

    As you already know I'm happy that you are safe. Please don't feel guilty about that sweetie...just be thankful.

    Lots of Love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had floods here in India too. May God help the victims in both India and Pakistan and everywhere else, too.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are so expressive. I can feel the pain.

    May the people who are affected by the floods recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a terrible incident, i feel guilty at times too but at least we can help, even if it is only by donating :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, I have been thinking about you and praying for you and your countrymen. Seeing people go through things like that really tears your heart open. I love that you are trying to help people find a way to be able to help. You have such a good heart.

    ReplyDelete