Tuesday, December 22, 2009

An all-so Pakistani post!! :)

Okay, so technically this is my 50th post and seriously, I am excited that I am finally writing it. I have been blogging for 6 months now, and in these six months I have been through a lot. My blog has been more than a place to share my thoughts for me. It has been a solace for me in times I was upset and heart-broken!

Writing has always helped me through difficult times. It's like a really brilliant way of sorting stuff out and organizing the messed up thoughts in my mind. For finding links between things, that don't connect. For person with humongous over-thinking-stuff problems like me, a blog or a diary is necessary. As I exceed normal people when it comes to thinking and obsessing over stuff, I prefer to have both.

Now as suggested by the topic, my 50th post is going to be about Pakistani stuff. In this this post of mine, I'll be focusing two very diverse subjects. This time my post does not only revolve around the culture of Pakistan and things that make Pakistan stand out, but also some social parameters of Pakistan, which I believe should be explored as well!

Women of Pakistan

Women are an object of respect and pride in the Pakistani society. As declared by the religion followed here, women are to be protected by their saviors, men. Men are given the responsibility to take care of women, as fathers, or brothers or husbands. The idea of an independent women, earning for herself, and leading life remaining single, is now not so novel in the Pakistani society, yet, it is still condemned by the religious fanatics and not accepted by the rural Pakistani society.

As the times changed, women in Pakistan moulded themselves according to the modern requirements. Yet, the Pakistani society was unable to mould itself with the modern times. Today, although, women in Pakistan do get opportunities to work, they face problems in different areas. Working women still demand a lot more!

My aunt, Rukhsana, is the principal of a government owned school in Pakistan. Now the government education sector in Pakistan is not at all remarkable and lies nowhere in comparison with the public education sector. The political instability and other major issues in Pakistan has led to negligence towards areas such as education. The government fails to fulfil it's duty in these areas and therefore the public sector exceeds in services and facilities provided. But as the public sector is really expensive, it is unaffordable for people with low incomes. Such people thus prefer the government owned schools, despite the flaws.

Ms.Rukhsana's school is built in a train tunnel, no longer used. As unimaginable as it already might be, it might just leave you aghast when you read that right above the tunnel is a very busy flyover, with cars speeding away all the time. The children study, with the noisy sounds of horns and engines playing as the background music!

When Ms. Rukhsana was first given the responsibility as the principal of the school, the school was in a very hopeless condition! Electricity and water supplies were absolutely absent. The paint was peeling of the walls and the furniture was broken. Students and teachers weren't regular and things seemed absolutely out of hand! Ms.Rukhsana didn't know where to begin!

She knew that the government did give funds to the school but the school administration was not putting the funds to use at all, and the government didn't keep a check either. Thus the first thing she did after becoming the head was keeping control on the funds and where they were used. She got the school painted and the furniture fixed. Electricity and water supply lines were brought to the school and the school was cleaned up. She had to go through a lot of difficulties, while trying to bring this change. She had to put in extra work hours, moving from one office to other, getting stuff approved, files signed. No wonder, by the end of everyday, she was as stressed out as ever, but the very next day she was on her feet, again.

Today, the school is educating around hundred students, who attend school regularly. The school is up to eighth standard and only for girls. The students who usually attend the school are underprivileged, their parents are illiterate and sometimes they have to work to support the family. Despite all this, the school produces brilliant debaters, wonder math students and most of all more responsible citizens.

Ms.Rukhsana is a perfect picture of a dynamic woman, in my eye. She is wears cool designer lawn(summer fabric) prints and at the same time she travels in public bus. She doesn't let her status or class define her, her character is a definition of who she is. Her taste in clothes and shoes is excellent, and she loves what she does. She follows her heart and most of all, she spoils me. She is my favorite aunt. I interviewed her, especially for my blog, 'cos people like her shouldn't be hidden from the world. She is a perfect Pakistani woman!

So Here goes:

  • All-Pakistani girl: Why did you choose education as your field of profession?
Ms.Rukhsana: Back when I was in school, I used to observe my Head Mistress, Ms. Salma Aiwan. She was a 'woman of principles'. Her administration was strong and she was strict about following the rules. She used to teach me English. Being her student I was inspired by her and I wanted to be like her. That is when I decided that I would like to choose education as my field of profession. Later I got another such teacher who inspired me, she used to teach us biology. These teachers inspired me and therefore later when I had to choose a career path, I chose teaching.

  • APG: What are your strengths and weaknesses?
M.R: My friends and my determination are my strengths. My friends stand by me all the time and support me in everything I do. They offer me the right advice at the right time and help me get through difficult situations. Without them, I would be really helpless. Other than that, I believe that my determination is another driving force to my success. When I set my mind on something I endeavor as hard as ever to achieve it!
My domestic responsibilities, would certainly be my weakness. I say this, not because I hate them, but because they stop me from things I aspire to do. Taking care of my family, obviously, comes first. Compromising on family needs for work is not right and therefore, at a lot of times I choose family over work!

  • APG: If you could one thing in this world, what would you change?
M.R: If I could change one thing in this world, I would certainly change the system of government owned education in Pakistan. I have been associated with it for more than 10 years now and the more time I spend the more I realize, how much students are suffering. Education is a right of every citizen and everyone deserves it, in the best way!

  • APG: Where would you like to go for holidays?
M.R: I would like to visit India. It is a land of my forefathers. My mom hails from India.

  • APG: One thing you can't stand at all.
M.R: I can't stand dishonesty at all.

  • APG: Who has affected your personality and what you are today?
M.R: My dad has a big hand in what I am today. I was very intimate with my dad and he used to guide me through a lot of things in my life. I have adopted a lot of his positive points. He has played a major role in building up my personality!

  • APG: What color do you like the most?
M.R: I really like sky blue! It is my favorite!

  • APG: Name one thing you love shopping for.
M.R: I do enjoy shopping for clothes, but more than that I enjoy shopping for home goods, example, crockery. I love shopping for mugs or plates or various dinner sets. I really like that!

APG: Aunt Rukhsana, you are the best!! :) :) :)

So here was one social aspect of Pakistan. Now if you have still survived the post, you can hang around to check out a cultural festival I attended a few weeks back. The festival focused on the culture of one of Pakistan's province: Sindh. I live in Sindh, but I have not yet explored the whole province. Well here are some pictures of Sindhi culture: the clothes, the jewelery and lot more!!



A traditional fabric


A peacock hand-embroidered on fabric



A pretty embroidered over-coat




An elephant hand-embroidered on a wall hanging

A painting of a girl!



Hand-etched on stone


Beautiful etching on stone!


The etch-er himself with his tools!

A beautifully etched lamp!


Hand painted pot!


Hand painted pots!!



More pots!


Antique pendant shaped like a fish from the deserts of Tharparkar!

Ring from the deserts of Tharparker. [on my nail-nitten hands]

Another ring! Nice!



More jewelery from the deserts of Tharparker in Sindh!


The traditional footware: kola pori


Another traditional footwear: Khussa [my mom didn't let me buy these :( ]


Weaving of a traditional fabric: sussi


The traditional fabric: sussi









10 comments:

  1. A very nice 50th post indeed Kaibee :)
    Oh, and you DO write good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very brilliant post. And Ms rukhsana, nodoubt is a great lady. We really such honest and hardworking people, who want to do something for the betterment of Pakistan. I really enjoyed your 50th post. And I love Sindhi jewelry. Beautiful. Well many many congratulations on Golden jublie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this is a great post! love those rings :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing aunt you have. The world needs more people like her. I loved seeing all the beautiful traditional things from your area. Wow. The shoes your mother didn't let you buy are my favorite. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful post Kaibee. I have dedicated a post to you on my blog today and presented you with an Award if you would like to pop over and collect it.

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your aunt is a model for women everywhere and your interview with her was super.

    Thank you.

    I loved the fish...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are back after such a long hiatus. Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the 50th post. Well done Kaibee. Actually, a family crisis prevented me from coming over for a while and it is still going on, but I am so happy to read this. It was worth the wait. Your aunt Rukhsana seems to be an amazing woman and a great role model. I enjoyed reading about her.

    There is a lot of interest in Sindhi art and culture on this side of the fence too as many of our people originate in Sindh. I loved reading your take on that and seeing the photos too.

    Keep on posting Kaibee! All the best for the next 50!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Kai! Your Aunt is amazing! The embroidery was really great!

    Congrats on your 50th post! *SO PROUD TO BE YOUR FRIEND*

    ReplyDelete
  10. gr8 post !!
    do u use any form of IM ?

    ReplyDelete