Saturday, October 2, 2010

Beyond imagination....

Two years back, I was just your lively, cheerful, full-of-life average teenager studying in a bourgeoisie all-girls' school, planning my future in Pakistan and cursing the hell of high school injustices. Absorbed in the heart-felt school friendships, giggling for hours at stupid jokes, trying to prove chivalry and guts among my classmates and indirectly being boastful of my grades.

Two years back, boys seemed like other-worldly species. Except for the presence of my brothers and dad, I grew wary of every other male presence that lingered by. Little crushes yoked to the possibilities of marriage and everything seemed as if meant to be. There were innocent feuds and I used to cry for my friends and get jealous. :)

Two years back, acing 10th grade was a major part of my life, career and university seemed distant, like those hills I gazed at the night before I left Pakistan. Hills which glistened with sparkles of light, hills which seemed way further than they actually were.

Two years back, when we talked about perverted topics, in fact, even relationships in hissed voices. Our jaws dropped to the floor just thinking of being in a relationship, abandoning the ethical codes of religion and society.

Two years back, I was the girl known as the plucky tomboy of the class. Straight forward and clear. The girl who came from a respectable family background and had a classy sense of style. The girl, who was liked and hated by a lot of people. The girl who watched wrestling and sweet romantic movies (secretly). The girl who left an impact on almost everyone she met and who let people leave an impact on her unconditionally!

Two years back, even my wildest dream couldn't have been as imaginative as to predict the possibility of being a thousand miles away from Pakistan in the next two years.

One year back the immigration letter made it's entrance into our lives.

A year back, I started in a co-ed school. When I was just too careful and awkward with guys, I thought they were my enemies! And then when I made good friends with the guys and girls, I moved in a group of 13 people. Loved by everyone. Did well in school yet felt underestimated all the time. Felt depressed.

A year back I found the most wonderful friend in a person who had been with me (unnoticed) for 12 years. She was so sweet and innocent sometimes I felt bitter compared to her. Her feelings so delicate and sensitive made me realized the decency she embraced. We talked like we have done a lot of wrong things and that we were a mess. A year back I never realized I would miss her that much.

A year back, I started acknowledging my surrounding like never before. I observed people caught up in the interplay of lust and youth, always trying to prove something with their braggadocio. Talking about all those western things like they were an obvious part of their lives. I observed people, trying to follow the western patterns of society defying our social norms and virtues.

A year back, I cursed myself whenever I had an unintended physical contact with a guy because it was against my culture and religion. I avoided perverted group conversations, 'cos I thought they adulterated the healthy friendships. I stopped myself from getting in to a relationship or breaking the norms of my society. And although, I slipped at some points I got back up, with stronger self-control and confidence.

A year back, I had seriously started considering the point that Pakistan might not be a witness to my entire life after all and Calgary might take Pakistan's place for a while. I started doing things, thinking it might be for the last time. My feelings were a mixture of a desperation and elation; the joy of a new experience and the grief of leaving everything behind.

A year back, I listened to Jonas brothers and Miley Cyrus and got disturbed even at the idea of smoking weed, or drinking. A year back, even after knowing everything, I was far away from the real world; living in the cocoon under my parent's protective wings not ready to face the world.

A year back, I learned how to get over stuff. I learned how to move on with life and I learned the importance of my friends in my life.

Today, I am a part of a liberal North American high school. Every day I come across many people with all sorts of faiths and cultures and I stand head-high proud of my own. I observe different cultures and it makes me love my culture even more. I understand how each culture in the world has it's roots and values and how absurd it is to follow a culture that contradicts your own.

Today, I talk to guys with extreme self-control. I am determined not to be a part of a relationship that would eventually end up in a break up. I am determined to maintain a zero physical contact policy till I get married. Boyfriends, relationships or sex doesn't fascinate me like it does a lot of people. My culture doesn't allow this and neither should I wallow in it.

Today, I strongly believe that Allah wants us to explore the world because he doesn't want our views to be primitive. Living in Calgary has made me closer to God, it has enlightened me about things I wouldn't have known had I lived in Pakistan forever!

Today, I feel independent, ready to face the world. I am out of my cocoon. I make my own decisions and I chose my own paths and I know my parents are there trusting me and guiding me through my life. I believe in myself and God. And I don't give a damn about people who have problems with me 'cos I have faith in God!

Today I listen to Nickelback, One republic, Lifehouse and John Mayer because their music and lyrics makes more sense to me than Jonas or Cyrus ever could. I think over issues deeply and avoid mistakes.

Today, while on my way to the mall, with my two new friends I realized, how drastically three years have changed me, in to a more sensible, more mature adult. How Allah has been generous to me keeping me away from major sins.

Today, I have no regrets, nothing I want to change in my past, nothing I have to change and nothing I have to redeem. I am an individual who made, through Allah's help, all the right decisions, who didn't hurt anyone, who respects and values all of Allah's creations in this world. I respect people's religions, their cultures and their traditions. There is a reason why Allah created so many different people in this world.

Today, I write this blog post to record this wonderful moment of enlightenment and gratitude, that life is such a wonderful gift and God has written our faiths with such adeptness that we can hardly cry for a misfortune. I don't know what Allah has planned for me, but I am sure they are big plans! :) And oh God, I trust you with my life so much! :)

I guess this was a sentimental post!

Tata! :)

14 comments:

  1. Yup dear very sentimental post, but it is good indeed...

    When i started reading it, i thought these are the thoughts of two years back and was thinking what is the current status.. and thn i reached lines of mermories of one year back and seemed good and at last reached to today and was happy to read between the lines..

    Be blessed and have a good life dude :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaibee this is an incredibly well-written post. There is so much depth in it, and you describe your growth to maturity with such insight.

    I am so pleased that you have settled well in Calgary and have made new friends, but at the same time retaining your own identity and respect for your own culture.

    You should seriously consider writing professionally...you are very good indeed.

    Lots of Love to you sweetie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely the best post of your's ever kay bee!
    Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how much one can do and change in just a few short years, hu?
    I am so proud of you for sticking to your teachings, and your religion. I think if more people did that, there would be a lot less problems in society. Your standards, and your beliefs will keep you strong and safe in this turbulent world. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey you ! ....you know i keep a track of your clog regularly now to get to know how you guys doing since we dont get to talk much ...n i'm in plain words elated :)...how well you're doing n best of all how well you're coping up. i hope the boys are doing real well too and am so glad you finally havr gotten over jonas brothers cuz really two three years back,i used to curse the montana,levato n jonas brothers for makin our generation all messed up for they have no clue to what they're doing and where they're going. i am glad you like john mayer n i would recommend k'naan for hes one person we could relate to the most. n i wud be really glad if you put your skills to best use by actually takin up writing seriously and going for professional studies cuz film making and cinematography would need your strng figurative skills too. stay blessed :) love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this POST! really!
    I'm with you with the music...
    I don't feel like you do regarding religion and culture... I am not very religious though I believe there's a God, but I cannot give him/her a name... and culture... well I love every different one and I try to learn all the good stuff from each of them. I don't feel really attached to mine though... I just love its freedom even if it goes into excesses sometimes, but I am for Rousseau (was it him? mmmmm I can't remember) "One person's freedom ends where another's begins". I also think it very important to observe the laws and respect the culture in whatever country one goes to... even when on holiday!
    I love your blog... I know I say it every time... but I really DO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent post gurl! so well written....m happy to find u settling in! the transition of 2 yrs u talked didnt seem very alien to me...i've seen u going through the thicks n thins n i know that u'll do very well in years to come...atleast i have this confidence in you!
    do think of persuing a career in writing...u r improving day by day!
    tc...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well done Kaibee. Very well done! :)
    Still keeping a track. :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!! kaibee i really love ur post..and i m so happy that u r finally settling there..m so proud of u and our culture n Allah totally rocks..n m really glad that u r stick on our culture...all my prayers n best wishes are wid ya..if u r happy then i m happy..xoxox miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant post indeed. May you have wonderful future ahead (Ameen). We certainly need more people like you, as in our youth, no matter where they live. Respect for culture, admiration for traditions and faith in religion is unfortunately diminishing day by day in younger generation...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey KAIBEE..ur post is wayyy better than mine b/c u have experienced all that going around ppl ur age. in my times around 10 yrs ago i had not such openness in teenage friendship..am joinign ur blog girl n hope u will follow minw.. coz am gonna update my new post with part #2 ,3 soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kaibee, I am speechless.
    You have never stopped dazzling me with your amazing writing skills and you probably never will. :)
    I hope you keep this going as long as you can, cause this is the best way to keep track of you. :P
    I love each and every blog you post, Kay.
    You have the power to depict your emotions in less words.. something I have failed to achieve..
    You are a true patriot. :)
    You'll definitely stay the same person I knew back here in Pakistan, I just know it :)
    My prayers are with you.. always :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh hey. Seriously I have no words to describe how well you have written. The way of expressing everything is simply beautiful.
    I am a new reader/follower of your blog :) Your blog is TRULY A-MAZING.
    I hope the journey of your life goes to the right path, InshAllah. Good Luck!
    And yes, I want to talk to you somehow. I am just very curious to know about your experiences. As in, Some email or Facebook or anything? Do reply to my comment.
    Love.

    ReplyDelete